Spencer's

Spencer's

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Big Boy Bed!

I knew this time was coming, but was hoping I could push it off a little bit longer. Since DJ is now potty trained he's decided that he's too big for his crib. He'd wake up screaming because he needed to go bathroom and sometimes I didn't wake up fast enough and he'd be so upset that he did it in his diaper. One day he just refused to get in his crib. So we took off the side railing and he slept on his toddler bed for a couple of weeks.


The only problem is he is getting too big and doesn't have much room to move around. He also LOVES to smush his face against the railing of his bed while he sleeps. So when we turned it into the toddler bed I slipped a child proof railing under his mattress. But when he'd lay right up against it, he ended up falling out of bed many times.
Here he is in his daybed sound asleep. His favorite thing to do is get all his books and look at them in his bed!



So we did a switch a roo of beds in our house. I went and bought Cadence a new twin mattress. Now she just sleeps on the floor and then in the morning after she makes her bed we slide her bed under Brianna's. It actually makes their tiny room alot bigger. They have space to play in there during the day. She loves it too. She calls it her magic bed!
There is Cadence sound asleep on her "new" bed! In the morning she makes her bed and I help her slide it underneath the bunk bed. It works perfect.
As you can see the room isn't that big. The girls have loved playing with their toys during the day in their own room! Before we just didn't have any room at all!



We gave her bed to DJ. It's perfect for him because I can put the railing on and it doesn't slide out because of the bed frame. So it works perfect. He loves it too!


So I decided to get the kids some comforters to fit their beds. Cadence and I found a steal of a deal in Walmart for Dora the Explorer comforters and pillow cases. They are normally $55 and I got them for $20 each. They were so excited and love to make their beds in the morning so we can see Dora! I looked for a Cars blanket for DJ but they weren't on sale. So last weekend in Kalispell I bought him a Cars comforter, with pillow case and bed sheets for $40. When I showed it to him he went and ripped apart his bed so I could make it with his new sheets!


He's done pretty good with his big boy bed. He loves the Independence. Thinks it's great. For the most part he does ok. But some nights it takes him forever to go to sleep. He stays in his room though. He'll poke his head out once in a while and tell me he needs to go to the bathroom. He cracks me up! I know he could go to bed in his underwear but he thinks he needs to have a diaper on, even though it's always dry in the morning. My cute boy sound asleep on his Cars bedding!
See how he likes to have his face against the railing! He used to squish his face against his crib railings and when he woke up he always had red lines on his forehead. At least this is alot softer!



I'm finding the only difficult thing is his nap time. If I had all afternoon and nothing else to worry about then it wouldn't be such a big deal. Because he takes FOREVER to finally go to sleep and wants to sleep till 3:30-4pm. Which doesn't work here, because I have to pick the girls up by 3:15pm and sometimes I'm the snack mom and have to be at the school by 2:30pm. I'm actually the snack mom a LOT! That's what I get for having 3 kids in pre-school! I enjoy going and so does DJ. But it means I have to think of clever ways to get him to go to sleep. For example after I drop the kids off at school at 12:35pm, I'll just go for a little drive and he will fall asleep. Then I'll carry him into his room and he'll have a good nap. So I've been trying to do that, but then it kind of messes up his good sleep patterns where he puts himself to sleep. That's probably why he takes longer at bed time. Oh well, I'd rather him have a nap, because he sure needs one. He missed it twice last week because he just played in his room. He then fell asleep at 4pm and I couldn't wake him up, so that made it a fun night! Silly boy!

His favorite thing to play with during the day is all his cars. He has a tool box that he puts all his "Cars" cars (the movie) in. He takes them everywhere. Between that and his basketballs it keeps him happy and busy. We found out what happens when DJ puts a car down the garbage disposal. I couldn't figure out why it was making such a crazy noise. I stopped it and pulled out all the little pieces.
This is what a car looks like after it goes through the garbage disposal.

So my little boy is not so little any more. Kind of makes me sad, but it's so fun to see him grow more independent. It's very cute!

2 comments:

The Bassetts said...

Hey, we are doing that with Conner soon - we bought bunk beds this weekend and we will be picking them up next week. Then we will transition him to his big boy bed. I am dreading the nap part - I hope he still keeps taking naps. I had to laugh at the car in the garbarater...crazy boy!
Carissa

Jay&Nic said...

ugh I'm in the same boat! Olen is literally breaking his crib, so we just ordered a toddler bed but I'm DREADING it because I LOVE his nap time...grr..what to do what to do haha...why do they have to grow up?:) Hope Olen does as well as DJ is doing! How old was DJ when you potty trained him?