Spencer's

Spencer's

Saturday, January 8, 2011

My Big Boy, DJ!

One of my goals for this year was to potty train DJ. He has shown some interest in the past couple of months, but truthfully, I wasn't ready! I told myself after the holidays we'll focus on him. Well I guess DJ thought I wasn't doing this fast enough and took matters in his own hands!
My big boy all ready for church in his new outfit I got him. He looks so grown up in it! He wouldn't stand their for the picture he had to take mine at the same time! Silly boy!



He woke me up on Tuesday morning by tapping my head and saying, "Mum, mum, mum, mum." I opened my eyes and looked at him and he was pointing at his diaper and holding his nose. He had pulled his pants down to his ankles. I asked him if he wanted to sit on the potty and he nodded his head yes. So I sat him down and cleaned up the bathroom a little. Then I heard him say, "Uh oh.". I looked over and he was standing up looking in his potty. He had gone No. 2! I was shocked. So I cheered him and we did a little dance and he flushed it down the toilet. I thought, ok I guess we are potty training starting now!

I have to admit things were a little rocky on Tuesday and Wednesday. So much so, that I broke down and bought an e-book on potty training for $27. Yeah, kind of a rip off, but I didn't know what to do. You'd think after potty training 3 at once I'd be a pro, but no. I think when it comes to potty training, it's hard with 1, 2 or 3! It's just hard and I hate it! So I read the book and it gave me some ideas of what to do with boys. But, DJ was having nothing to do with it. By Wednesday night he was running a fever and was feeling miserable. I felt bad, that he was sick and I was trying to potty train him. So I told Richard I was going to lay off and once he starts feeling better we'd start again. He agreed.
This was on Monday night. He put Cadence's head band over his eyes and was chasing the girls around. He was being a monster. It was pretty funny!
They did this for quite a while! He had fun being the monster and making all his sisters scream!



DJ slept all night and woke up the next morning, dry! I kept him in his diaper, but he kept running to me holding his nose. I'd check his diaper and he was still dry, so I sat him on the toilet. The poor boy was terrified of going in the toilet or potty. But he didn't want to go in his diaper either. So I finally had to hold him on the toilet till he went. I talked to him and rubbed his back, told him it was ok. I don't remember my girls being that terrified. I felt so bad, because he was crying so hard. But he finally went and we celebrated and he got to put some stickers on his chart. He was never interested in candy for an award so after he puts a sticker on his cart I give him about 8 small stickers that he can decorate a paper with. He loves doing that. So he'll sit at the table and color and decorate his paper. That's what he gets to do as he award. He had no accidents at all on Thursday.
Here's DJ on Thursday night right before bed time. He went to the potty and was busy coloring and decorating his paper with stickers.
He absolutely LOVED getting his own stickers. What a great reward!



On Friday he again woke up dry and went pee in the potty. He was excited to get his stickers. Oh I forgot to mention that we went into Lethbridge Thursday morning (he stayed dry the whole time) and he got to pick a toy he really wanted. It was Mack from Cars with McQueen on the trailer. Cars is his all time favorite movie. Watches all the time. So he was pretty excited about the truck. We got home and I explained to him that he had to go No 2, 10 times in order to get the truck. So we put it up on a shelf. He is half way to getting his truck! I did this with my girls and it worked so good.


He did good on Friday. He had 2 little accidents, which were kind of my fault. He was yelling at me and I was in the middle of something and ignored him (I know, so bad)! He was so devestated that he peed his pants that he ran and sat on his potty and wouldn't get off. I felt so bad. So I have been a lot more attentive and drop anything when he calls my name. He's been doing so good. Hopefully he keep doing good. He loves that he gets to wear his Cars underwear! He crys when we take them off at night to put on his diaper. He's been dry 4 nights in a row. Pretty soon, I think he'll be able to wear them at night too.


Funny to think I was so frustrated on Wednesday, thinking he'd never catch on. I was ready to quit. But I think the reason he was having such a hard time on Wednesday was because he was just feeling rotten.


Way to go DJ, we are so proud of you!

1 comment:

The Bassetts said...

Way to go D.J. and way to go Janae!!! That is awesome. My new years resolution is to potty train Conner - but I keep putting it off because I HATE potty training. You did a great job on the girls birthday cakes, I am very impressed. I thought your flat castle cake looked great. ALan was going back and forth between the truck cake you made for DJ and the rocket ship cake in my cake book and I think he decided on the rocket ship so we will see how that goes. Anyway, it was fun seeing you for New Years!
Carissa