Spencer's

Spencer's

Friday, December 20, 2013

A Sad Goodbye!

Over the past couple of weeks I had noticed that our little dog, Macy, wasn't feeling too good. She was just laying around and not moving. But I had thought it was because of this crazy cat that kept coming to our house and coming through her doggy door. Poor Macy was terrified of this wild cat. I had surprised it in our garage and it scared me to death too, the cat was crazy.

A funny story that happened. I went to Lethbridge one night to go watch my brother, Cody, on the Dragon's Den at Brent's house. It was a fun night with my family. Anyways, Richard stayed home with the kids. He went out in the garage and found the crazy cat. So he shut the doggy door and got a shovel. The cat was going crazy and he was chasing it around the garage trying to hit it. I think he got it a few times. Well it all of the sudden went flying into the house and went downstairs, where all the kids were watching a movie. Richard came flying down after it with a shovel and he was yelling at it. It freaked all the kids out to see their dad chasing and yelling at the cat and hitting it with a shovel. They were all a bit traumatized. It came flying upstairs and was bouncing around the kitchen. Literally, it was on top of the fridge on the counter tops. He finally got it out in the garage and opened both big garage doors. But the crazy cat climbed up and sat on top of the door. It was a crazy few minutes. The kids had a hard time going to sleep. When I got home at 10pm the girls were still awake and telling me about the mean cat!! Ha ha!

Well, I noticed that Macy had no energy and we figured out that she wasn't eating any food, it was the cat that was eating all her food. To make a long story short we took her to the vet and she has heart failure. Her heart in enlarged and has fluid on top of it. So we have been giving her pills every morning and night. But it didn't seem to help her. By Friday, she was just laying there and not moving. The vet called and talked to me. I told him what was going on and he wanted to do more tests on Macy. I told him I would call him back. At this time my mom came and picked up the kids, because Richard and I were heading to Great Falls, to do our Christmas shopping. We said bye to the kids and I talked to Richard and made the hard decision to put Macy down. I called the vet back and told him our decision and he agreed with us. Macy has lived a pretty long life for a small dog. Shelly agreed to come get Macy and take her in on Saturday morning to put her down. So Richard and I went and picked Macy up. I had to gently pull her out of her kennel. Which, if she was feeling good, she would of nipped at my hand. That was her safe spot and the only place where she would snap at anyone sticking their hands in! But she didn't. We gave her some cuddles and told her good bye. I took some pictures too.
Macy didn't want to be sitting there. This was normally her favorite big bean bag to sleep on. Silly dog!!

Richard and Macy together.

Me and Macy. We miss you Macy.

I don't think it really kicked in till we were coming back Saturday morning. I have to admit it, but I shed a few tears. She has been with us for 11 1/2 years and it's so weird not having her around. The hardest part was telling the kids. We went and picked them up and then had them all come sit down on the couch with us. They all knew that Macy was really sick. Richard told them that Macy was gone. Well Abbi demanded to know when she was coming back. When we told her that she had passed away Abbi broke down and started bawling. She was so sad. We cuddled together and we talked about it. The others were all listening and taking it in. They didn't say much. But later that night I found a picture of Macy in her dog house sitting on her pillow. On top of the picture was a baggie full of dog food. Aahhh, it melted my heart. Brianna and Cadence did that. Cadence also wrote a good bye sign to Macy. So cute. We've had many conversations about where Macy is now. It's been quite the experience!
Brianna and Cadence put this on Macy's bed. So cute!

No comments: