Spencer's

Spencer's

Monday, September 22, 2014

Hiking in Red Rock Canyon!

One Monday morning Megan called me and wanted to do something fun. She didn't have to work that day. We were debating if we should go to Wally's beach or go to Waterton. We decided to go hiking in Red Rock Canyon again. We had so much fun last time and I was going to be more prepared this time.

So away we went. We stopped in Cardston and I got us some subs. We drove into Waterton and had a picnic right by the lake. We ate our subs and the kids threw rocks into the lake. Then we decided to head up to Red Rock Canyon. All my kids changed into their swim suits and I changed too. Then we started to drive up.

Again, it was a really hot day. So perfect for a walk up the canyon! We got there and everyone ran to the bathroom and I packed my backpack with water, towels, snacks and my camera. I wasn't going to forget anything this time!! The kids were excited to go again. We wanted to go up further then we did last time.

It really is a lot of fun. I recommend anyone to hike up the canyon with kids. My kids love it. They were finding cool rocks and some good hiking sticks on the way too. This time, we didn't really care if we got wet, because we were in our suits! So much better!
Abbi was very insistent on taking her goggles this time (they are wrapped around her wrist!)

Cadence you crack me up!

Cadence, Brianna and DJ!

Walking through the deep water!

I think Megan is saying it's cold!! ha ha!

We got to the little water slide that we did before. This time Megan and I took a turn going down too! Wow, it was pretty cold. So much fun though! The kids all went too! It's a bit deeper there so easy to get all the way wet!
Megan going down the slide!

Swim Megan swim!

Abbi going down the slide!


Brianna and DJ warming up together in a towel!!

Me getting ready to go down the slide!

I did it! Trying to get out of the freezing water quickly!

Then we kept on going. We got to a point where it look like a little maze that we had to go through. It was a tree that had fallen and we had to work our way around all the branches. It was kind of cool. But if there were a lot of people trying to get through, it took some time! A bit of a traffic jam!!
DJ actually wanted me to take his picture!! That doesn't happen very often!

I thought I'd get a cute picture of my girls, but they were fighting just before I took it, because they touched each other. Oh my!!!



My four cute hikers!

Abbi found the perfect hiking stick!

We also had to walk across a tree that had fallen. That kind of scared DJ, we had to help him balancing. I was just praying that we both wouldn't fall in. That would of been a huge disaster. But we made it with no mishaps!
Us hiking up the canyon!

Oh I have super strong kids! ha ha!

DJ showing me his cool hiking stick!


We kept on hiking up and up and up. The kids were starting to get tired and hungry. So we stopped and had a snack and drink. They really explored the area too. What can I say, all my kids love to explore. It's so fun to hear how excited they get over a rock or stick they find. I love it!! I remember when I was a kid, exploring was one of my favorite things to do!!
The kids were writing their names on the wall with rocks!

Megan and I!

DJ ready to head back!

Going back! You can see the maze we were waiting to go through behind them.

We hike up a bit further and then decided it was time to turn around. We had been hiking for over an hour at least. At one point the canyon was very skinny, but when we decided to turn around it had widened up!

We turned around and started hiking back. By this time DJ was a little tired. So he stuck right with me. He always wanted me to hold his hand. That made things a bit trickier and slower. So the others were ahead of us, and DJ and I brought up the rear!

It was such a fun way to spend a Monday. We loved it. Thanks for such a great idea Megan. So glad we did it. We made it back to the vehicle and everyone was beat!! But they were all happy too, so that's a bonus.

They all wanted to get a ice cream cone from Waterton. I didn't feel like driving back into the town, because it was really busy. So we talked them into getting some yummy ice cream in Mt. View. They have a big selection to with the waffle cones. They all were happy with that. So we stopped and got us some ice cream! It was the perfect way to end our hike!

No comments: