Spencer's

Spencer's

Monday, February 13, 2012

New Rooms!

Last week the kids didn't have to go to school on Monday, which was so nice. It's amazing how much more I can get done when they stay home! My plan was to work on their room downstairs. The girls have been wanting to move downstairs for a long time. On Saturday I spent all day sanding, priming and painting their new closet. It's so nice, with a lot of shelves. Richard spent all day Saturday working on finishing the bathroom downstairs. By the end of the day we had running water, in the sink and tub and a working toilet. YEAH!
Still need to do some finishing work in the bathroom but everything does work.

So on Monday I was planning on painting their room. I was just planning on painting some stripes in the middle of the room. I had a green color and a bright pink. It took a lot longer then I had planned to measure and tape the walls. The girls were so good at playing with DJ and keeping him happy while I worked. They loved to poke their head in and see how I was doing! I finished painting one big pink stripe and then one big green stripe. I was looking at the wall and couldn't figure out how to finish it. It didn't look like I had planned. I phoned my friend Renee and she suggested on painting a smaller pink stripe on top of the green one. So that's what I did and I loved the result. The next day after the walls were dry I put on their wall stickers I had bought for their room. The girls were so excited. I also painted 2 white shelves, pink.
Here is the stripes I painted on their wall and some of the stickers I put up.

DJ insisted on helping me paint the two white shelves. He worked very hard on it!

What a stinking cute little boy!!! Love him!

Richard came home earlier that afternoon and started taking apart beds upstairs so we could move them down. I knew it was going to be a HUGE job, and wasn't too excited about starting it at 4pm! Ha ha!  After supper we got the beds down there and a dresser. I told the girls that we would finish taking everything down the next day. They were crazy excited about sleeping down there. I won't lie, I was a little worried. My girls are good sleepers but once in a while I wake up with little people sleeping on my floor! We put a night light in the boot room so it wouldn't be too dark if they had to come up to us in the middle of the night. I think I was more worried than they were! I checked on them a few times before I went to bed. They did awesome, slept all night. DJ did awesome in his own room! It makes me realize that my girls are growing up! The next night they were again very excited to go to bed. So much so, that they put themselves to bed without us knowing. We were upstairs putting DJ to bed, thinking they were downstairs playing or watching tv. Brianna came up and asked if we were going to come down and say good night to them. I jumped up and went down and asked, "When did you go to bed?" Brianna replied, "A long time ago mom." OOPS! Sure enough, there they were all tucked in their beds with the lights off. It was so cute!
Here's a picture of the girls room with all their stuff in it!!

Abbi and Brianna sitting on their beds. Not sure where Cadence is but her bed is the top bunk. They think that they are so grown up now, sleeping downstairs!!! I think they are too!

Our house has been a working zone lately. We've had people come and frame and mud and now spray the spackle on the ceiling and walls. It's a long and very messy process. I can't wait till it's all done and I can paint the walls and be done with everything.

The weather has been so nice out lately. The kids have had fun playing outside in our yard. I don't know if I mentioned it before but we got our driveway done. It was just gravel before, but now it's a nice big asphalt driveway. The kids love it. They go out and ride their bikes on it all the time. I love it too. I love getting things done on my house. We are slowly getting everything done.

I did DJ's room the next week. My plan was to make it into a "cars" room. Since he already had the Cars curtains, and bed set, I thought I would just go along with that theme. He was very happy about that. All I did was take some tape and put it up randomly along the wall. Then I measured 9" every so often and marked it then taped that. Then I painted the road and when that dried put on the yellow lines. DJ was beyond excited about me painting his room. The morning that I painted the road, he sat on his bed and kept saying over and over, "Tank tyou mum, tank tyou." It was so cute. He wouldn't stop saying it. He was so excited. I then bought a toy box from someone who was done with it. I had to paint it, since it was bright pink. But it's the perfect size for the room. He was able to fit all his totes of cars into the toy box. He's spent hours playing with his cars in his room. He loves it! It's not perfect but I think it worked out perfect!


My cute boy in his new room. There's the big toy box that we painted. It turned out perfect.

I painted the road high enough so he wouldn't be tempted to drive his cars on the wall! And yes, he has a tv in his room! That way when he wakes up at 6am, I pop in his Cars movie and that keeps him happy for about an hour so I can sleep till 7am. It doesn't happen every morning any more just once in a while. He's getting better at sleeping later in the morning (till 7 or 7:30am).
So there are the kids new rooms. They are very happy and so am I . Now I just need to figure out what to do with the empty room we have upstairs. It's just a small room and I was thinking of putting all their books in the room and making into a reading room. They have their comfy soft chairs and I thought about getting a couple of bean bag chairs. I don't know, we'll see how it turns out! I'm not too worried about it right now, since I have to paint the hallway and bathroom downstairs first. Always something to do around here!

1 comment:

The Bassetts said...

Their rooms turned out so cute!!! I think you need to come visit...we are probably going to tear the walls out of the boys room next week and put up wall board. I am not looking forward to the mess but I hope we can finish it fast. Then I want to paint it but I am not sure what to do in there. Anyway, good job on the rooms!
Carissa