Spencer's

Spencer's

Friday, June 10, 2011

Soccer and Bikes!

This year I left it up to the girls to decide if they wanted to play soccer. Brianna and Cadence were both excited to play but Abbi chose not too. She didn't have fun last year so I didn't force her this year! She has fun watching her sisters and running around with DJ and other kids. We've had some crazy weather lately so sometimes they have soccer in the ice arena. It POURED all day on Friday but by Saturday it was so nice out. They had it outside and it was so nice to sit outside in the sun and watch!

I wasn't sure if I was going to let Cadence play with her broken arm. My worry was she'd accidentally whack someone in the head with her cast. She swings that thing everywhere and I've been whacked a time or two! It hurts! My dad suggested putting it in a sling and tying it to her chest. So that's what we did. It worked out perfectly. Good thing you can't use your hands in soccer, so it worked out good. They've been teaching the kids how to play soccer. So it hasn't actually been games but more like clinics that they rotate and take turns doing. My girls have loved it and I've seen some improvement in how they handle the ball. The soccer association has a British soccer player here that is teaching the kids some skills. It's been really useful and he's been so good with the kids. They all love him!

Cadence and Brianna are the two right in front of the British coach. They have to wear these huge pennies, so I tie them up in the back!

Waiting in line at one of the stations. They had to kick the ball with the top of their foot. You can see Cadence with her sling!
DJ chasing his friend Luke and trying to grab his ball back. Those two were funny together!
DJ has to bring his soccer ball every time we go. He's pretty good and running around and kicking it. He usually finds someone else to play with him and Abbi. That keeps them entertained. Sometimes it ends up in a little scuffle over the ball! DJ will share his ball for only so long, then he'll grab it away! Kind of funny! But for a two year old, I think it's great that he'll even share!
DJ just takes off running so fast kicking his soccer ball. He loves playing!

After soccer we came home and I got everyone lunch. Then I finished cleaning the house, doing laundry and just getting things done. Richard had to work that morning and didn`t get home till just after 2pm. We then were ready to go into Lethbridge. I volunteered Richard`s (he didn`t mind at all, he`s awesome like that!!) assistance in helping my brother build a deck. I met up with my mom, Emily, Megan and Tiffany and the kids, at Henderson Lake. It was really busy but the kids had a blast running around and playing. We ordered some pizza and then headed over to Brent and Tiff`s house to eat with the guys.



After we ate, I had promised my kids that they could ride their bikes. Brent`s house backs onto a church parking lot. So we went out his back gate and the kids rode around the parking lot. It was perfect. Abbi and Brianna were determined to ride on two wheels. We had practised a tiny bit earlier in the week, but it`s a bit harder on gravel road. So I told Brianna what to do and away she went. I found that they did better if I wasn`t holding onto the back of their bike. I know it sounds weird but very true! I made them learn on DJ`s bike, which is pretty tiny. I just put the seat up. I showed them how they can catch themselves with their legs. Since the bike was small they had no problem catching themselves. I showed them how to walk with their legs (like a stryder bike) to get the bike going and then put their feet on the pedals and go. I was so amazed with how well they did. I stood behind them and got them going and then they were on their own. They`d go a few pedals and then put their feet down. Then they`d go again. About 30 mins later Abbi and Brianna were zooming around everywhere. I was cheering and clapping for them. They were so proud of themselves and I was proud of them too. We called Richard over (who was working on the deck) and they SHOCKED their dad. He couldn`t believe it. You have to remember that this was Abbi`s 1st time trying and Brianna`s 2nd. They both caught on so quickly! It was fun watching them ride around.
Brianna just taking off on the "little" bike. She was so happy and excited that she could ride without her "little wheels"!

This shows you how small this bike was for my girls! But I think that's what gave them confidence. Abbi was just taking off to ride. She did AWESOME!



DJ brought his trike and I worked with him too. I showed him how to pedal and got him going. It was funny because he thought I was pushing him, but then I came in front to take a picture and he then realized he was pedaling and moving the bike on his own. He had a surprised look on his face then he smiled. The parking lot had a little slope so that made it easier for him to get the idea of what to do. But he can now pedal himself around. I have to remind him to put his feet on and pedal instead of walking with his feet. He does so good!
I went to take a picture of DJ pedaling and as soon as he saw me with the camera he went to fall off his bike. He's such a goof ball!



Cadence was a little sad that she couldn`t learn how to ride on two wheels. I didn`t even want to try because of her broken arm. I told her as soon as her cast was off, we`d work with her. So that made her happy. She did have fun riding her bike around though. We came back to Brent`s house and I told them they could ride back and forth in front of the house. I was talking to everyone when I heard Cadence`s panic scream. I ran out the front door and was trying to find her. She was SCREAMING so loud! I came flying around the corner and she was halfway down the block riding her bike, screaming. I got to her and she was screaming, I DON`T KNOW WHERE I AM. Poor girl. I got her calmed down and turned her around and we went back. She went right by the house and got lost, even though she was just around the corner. I then pointed out to her that Brent`s house was the only one with a car trailer in front of it. After that she was fine. She is a cutie!
Cadence showing me how she can ride with one arm! She's excited to learn how to ride a two wheeler when that cast comes off!




It was a fun afternoon and evening. I got home with my 4 kidlets sound asleep at 9pm. They are way to big for me to carry them all in one at a time and put into bed (used to do that!)! So I woke them up and hurried them into their jammies and bed. They all went right to sleep! It was a good day!

Oh, on Friday we stayed at home all day. It basically poured all day long. I talked to my kids about Uncle Steve and Aunt Stacey moving. We made them a big candy card to give to them. They were stopping on their way to Lethbridge. Then they took off Saturday morning to Williams Lake, BC. Anyways as I was explaining to my girls that we are not going to see them as often as we normally do, Abbi teared up and then started sobbing. She kept saying, "But mom I don't want them to go." It was so sad and I have to admit, it made me tear up too. I feel the same way as her. Steve, Stacey, Mikah and Shaylee came by later that afternoon. We were able to give them the card and talk for a bit. Then we all gave hugs and said our good byes. Poor Abbi just hid her face in the couch, she did NOT want to say goodbye. We will miss them but hope everything goes great for them in BC.

We had some beautiful days on Saturday and Sunday. So we spent a LOT of time outside. We woke up Monday morning and it was warm out but looking really cloudy. So I told the kids to hurry and play before it rains. So they were outside playing by 7:30am! I hurried and got things done and myself ready and decided to take them to the church parking lot to ride bikes. So we went just before 10 and rode bikes for an hour. They had a blast. Our neighbours came with us. So the 5 girls and DJ had fun riding their bikes!

I sat in the driveway with my chair while the kids went back and forth on the road!

Cadence asked me to take her picture and this is how she posed! Funny girl!

Abbi is my little dare devil! She pedals as fast as she can then yells, "Look at me hit the bumps Mom." She flies over the bumps on our "bumpy" road and bounces up and down! She's only waxed out a few times.....including into our suburban.....crazy girl!

Then after the girls came home from school, it still hadn't rained but was still really cloudy, so we got the bikes out again. I sat in my chair by our side road and they rode up and down. That's the beauty about no training wheels they can ride on rough roads! They rode for almost an hour then the rain started. So we made the best of the day and played hard outside! Good thing because it rained ALL DAY today (Tuesday)! Plus it is still raining. Go away rain! So we spent the day inside. We played with all the toys then picked everything up and made forts. I went and popped popcorn and everyone layed in their fort eating popcorn and watched a movie. It was a fun relaxing afternoon!

I walked by and noticed Brianna and Abbi totally into the movie and holding hands. It was so cute! I ran and got my camera to capture the moment!

Cadence showing me her fort. They sure love it when we make the forts!

After the movie DJ got a little wild! Crazy boy....had to get rid of his energy somehow!

Then on Wednesday was the girls last day of Pre-school. But I'll save that for it's own post! Till next time!

1 comment:

The Bassetts said...

That is so awesome that Abbi and Brianna are riding without training wheels. That just got me so pumped to teach Alan. I will have to try your method. I will see if it works to teach him on Conner's bike. It has rained and rained and rained here but this week looks good so hopefully we can get outside. My kids had a bad case of cabin fever this week!
Carissa